Effective January 5, 2013 the Postal Service will revise Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) 201.3.14, to provide new standards for folded self-mailers (FSM) and non-enveloped mail pieces that are mailed at automation or machinable prices.
The Physical Characteristics are as follows:
- Maximum height is 6 inches
- Minimum height remains 3.5 inches
- Maximum length is 10.5 inches
- Minimum length remains 5 inches.
- Maximum thickness remains .25 inches
- Minimum thickness remains .007 for postcard sized pieces and .009 for letter sized pieces
- Maximum weight remains 3 ounces
- Aspect ratio remains 1.3 – 2.5
- Maximum number of panels: 12
- The final fold must be on the bottom, for oblong pieces the final fold must be on the leading edge
- There are different rules for newsprint, please consult the DMM
If you are in the process of designing your next self-mailer or have questions please contact your ADM representative. We will be happy to help you navigate these new requirements.