If you are considering expanding your marketing to include the LGBTQ community, you’re like many other companies. As public attitudes have developed a greater acceptance of LGBTQ individuals, marketers are playing catchup to create campaigns that are inclusive of LGBTQ consumers and designed to overtly court this highly influential and growing consumer segment.
Steps to take prior to developing your actual LGBTQ campaigns include:
- Knowing why marketing to LGBTQ is important.
- Understanding who is the LGBTQ community.
- Setting up a successful LGBTQ marketing campaign.
- Reviewing good LGBTQ marketing examples.
Once you’re ready to begin your LGBTQ marketing efforts, your initial steps might include the following:
(1) Ensuring your brand is fully committed as a company. Revisit your key messaging to include the LGBTQ community.
- What are you doing for your employees? See Shell Oil's Testimonials
- Check your website. Do you have messaging promoting your commitment to equality? Do you have a diversity mission statement? See General Electric’s Diversity Page
- What are you doing for your community and how are you promoting it via social channels? Check out what the top companies are doing in terms of LGBTQ support by visiting the Corporate Equality Index (CEI). The CEI is published by Human Rights Campaign Foundation as tool to rate American businesses on their treatment of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees, consumers and investors.
(2) Educate internally. Your colleagues should know of your company’s efforts to expand diversity to include the LGBTQ segment.
(3) Seek research that informs smart LGBTQ strategies. Get connected with an LGBTQ specialist who can work closely with your marketing team to develop a marketing plan.
Want to put this plan into action? Not sure where to start? Sign up below to receive a free consultation from Anderson!